My first attempt at a flash sidescroller, made as my final project for a Flash class, programmed in actionscript 3.0. Its a pretty simple Actraiser/Castlevania style platformer, no storyline, sound, or real level design, just a basic funtionality test for all of the gameplay elements. Despite its simplicity, my classmates were quite challenged and only a few managed to actually get to the end, since it takes pretty precise timing to make some of the jumps. I’ve noticed some lag and performance issues when playing on lower end machines, so sometimes its best to download the .swf file and then run it locally. Also, it’s best to run with the browser maximized, or else it will flicker (it was originally set up to run from adobe flash player at a fixed resolution).
Despite the lack of polish, overall I’m quite satisfied with how this turned out (I got an A too). I basically cranked it out in one weekend, having only 4 months of flash experience under my belt, working from a tutorial that provided some basic things like getting the character to move and jump, the “render” cycle, floors, walls etc. I created all of the graphics, animations, different attack types, enemies and traps.